Saturday, March 16, 2013

What the heck!? A heart monitor? ER? PVC's?

I was put on an Event heart monitor for two weeks. Why? Well, I have been having heart palpitations (again) since I began walking. I think that my doctor made this decision as a precautionary move; heart issues run in the family, I have had Ramsay Hunt Syndrome (which he, and most of the medical field have not idea about) and because there are so many factors that could be causing this. Those factors are: Ramsay Hunt Syndrome (one of the symptoms of an outbreak is heart palpitations, or at least it was for me), me being overweight, my diet, exercise and stress levels. I guess we will see.

Day one: This wont be so bad, I hardly knew it was there.
Day two: OK, now I am aware that this monitor is there. I got all these cords in my cleavage!
Day three: Those electrodes are causing a rash on my skin and each time I change them it feels like it is taking my skin off! What the hell?
Day four: I think I will let my skin get some air. This is painful.
Day five: I am taking this daum thing off and calling the doc to see what I can do with this rash.
Day six: Went back in to get some electrodes for sensitive skin. Turns out the nurse did not properly tell me how to use the electrodes and I was basically ripping my skin off. Note to self, you do not have to change the electrodes when you shower NOR do you have to put them in the same spot each time you switch them out.
Day seven to Day fourteen: Life is much different now that I have the electrode issue down. I was able to record 6 events. Cords and cleavage is not a good combo. Always question medical personnel.

Diagnosis: It took the cardio dept FOREVER to get the results in to my doctor or it took my doctor forever to see them, I am not sure. I was actually diagnosed in the ER with PVC's (Premature Ventricular Contractions).

Why was I in the ER? Earlier in the week I went in to see my primary care doctor for the Ramsay Hunt, I was having another Ramsay Hunt outbreak. He confirmed it but was not 100 % because there really is no way to tell with out the sores and facial drooping showing up. He said that based upon my symptoms a few days back, it was most likely the case and that my body recognized the virus and took care of it this time. Yahoo, body! I am 100% sure of what I was feeling and decided to take a few days off and rest.

During that time, the heart palpitations were becoming stronger and scarier. It starts as a pound in the chest that sends energy/warmth through out the entire body. The pounding continues, my limbs get tingly and numb, my head goes light, nausea sets in and then of course there is anxiety too. The first day it happened my husband was able to walk me through it. The second day it happened I was in the pick up line at my daughters school and had no where to go! So, I pulled myself together, instructed her that if I had to pull over she would have to go into a business to find a phone (my cell was not in my purse) and drove home.My daughter is very brave and I am so proud of her!

I called the doctor and his nurse said go to the ER. So, we went to the ER. When we got there the nurse called my house and said not to go to the ER. WHAT THE HECK!? My mother told her that I was already there. While I was there, they took blood, an EKG and hooked me up to some liquids.

It was not long until the ER doc came in and said that he had talked to my Primary. The tests that the ER did and the results from the Event Monitor were in conjunction with PVC's.

This is when the bottom half of the heart puts out extra beats, causing all the symptoms I explained above. They can be caused by caffeine, stimulant drugs or herbs, an underlining heart disease as well as many other lifestyle activities. I am almost certain that this has to do with lifestyle, but I am not going to rule out heart disease just yet (it runs in the family).

I am so glad to have a name for what is going on so that now we can move forward and start the process of elimination to get these under control. I have not walked in over a week and I am anxious to get back at it...so is Pup!

Thank you everyone for your support! I know some of you are wondering why I share so much about my health. There will be a special post answering that question soon. 
And a Giveaway, I have gathered all I need to!

Love and light!









No comments:

Post a Comment