Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Augusts’ Creative Corner: Darbeads

When I began taking Business classes a professor said something that stuck with me. He said that, “Your customers will come to you because they have a problem and they think that you can fix it. Businesses are in business to fix their customer’s problems.”  My whole outlook on the statement at the time was broad and simple: businesses would not make products or offer services if there was no demand for them. The idea was introduced in general and was the foundation of the theory of supply and demand. It was not until recently I understood how the statement applied to small businesses that satisfy a niche market.

I had a problem. My daughter, Alyssa, was graduating from her Kindergarten Turtle class. The teacher had become so special to our family and we wanted to show our gratitude in a special way so we chose to make her a couple of pairs of earrings. 

Alyssa carefully picked out two beautiful green antique glass beads and I carefully made them into earrings, paying special attention to Alyssa’s instruction. I wanted to find her teacher the perfect pair of turtle beads. I searched all the bead stores in Grass Valley and Nevada City and was unable to find exactly what I was looking for. At the last shop I went to, the gentleman said, “Why don’t you try Darbeads on Spring Street? They may have something and if not they can custom make something for you.” I did and they were closed (because they are closed on Mondays). I thought, “Geez, I only have 5 days left until school is out!  I may have to go to Auburn or Roseville….ugggg.”  

The next day I thought that I would try stopping by Darbeads again before venturing off to the city. I am so glad I did!  When I walked into the store I was mislaid in awe. The entire collection of master pieces was carefully displayed throughout the antiqued building perfectly! Pendants, beads, earrings, necklaces, marbles…all original, all handmade, all breathtaking. I was instantly in love. 

Darby and Janien of Darbeads took my request and specially made a pair of turtle beads that were more beautiful than what I had originally imagined. Better yet, it was affordable and they were done the day before school let out.  Plus, I really enjoyed talking with both of them. 

This experience not only taught me a little more about what Mr. Professor said years ago but it taught me something about patience, community and the astonishing world of small business and niche marketing. 

For more information on Darbeads go to www.darbeads.com

These are the turtle beads that Darbeads made for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment